Buddy up with new international students and help them out with study advice, settling into life in Sydney, understanding Australian culture and making new friends.
As a senior student mentor, you will be matched with a group of brand new international students (buddies), and meet regularly with them during the semester.
When you meet is mainly up to you. You will get to arrange regular online meetings with your buddies – maybe once a week for two hours – at a time that fits in with your study schedule, and complete a weekly activity record after each meeting.
You will help your buddies by:
- demonstrating appropriate behaviours
- creating learning experiences
- focusing on the positives when facing challenges
- encouraging your buddies to build their self-esteem and confidence
- directing them to the appropriate services and support when they need it.
Being a mentor is a fantastic opportunity to build your skills, abilities and experience too. Benefits for mentors include:
- specialist mentor training
- improved communication skills
- greater self-esteem and empathy
- advanced conflict resolution skills
- excellent organisational skills
- further leadership experience.
How to apply
There is no need to apply for this mentoring program.
If you already have experience as an in-class peer helper and you have already completed a UTS Insearch program, you may be invited to take part by one of our Study Success Advisers.
For more information contact
Study Success Adviser Team Leader