About the University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
UTS offers international, innovative and industry-relevant education in the heart of the global city of Sydney.
The University of Technology Sydney (UTS) is an innovative and practice-oriented university with an international outlook. Situated in the heart of Australia’s global city of Sydney, UTS offers career-relevant education across a diverse range of traditional and emerging fields. UTS provides high quality, career-relevant education through innovative courses, excellent teaching and state-of the art facilities.
UTS has been awarded a significant five stars result for excellence in a number of higher education categories by QS™ for 2014-2016, including:
- Teaching: 5 Stars
- Research: 5 Stars
- Internationalisation: 5 Stars
- Employability of our graduates: 5 Stars
- Innovation: 5 Stars
- Access: 5 Stars
- Facilities: 5 Stars
- Specialist: Five stars achieved in the academic disciplines of Accounting & Finance
In the 2016-2017 QS World University Rankings, UTS is ranked 193 globally and in the 2016/2017 Times Higher Education Universities Under 50 Rankings UTS is ranked 1st in Australia and 7th in the world.
- Convenient city location. UTS’s main campus is a five-minute walk from Central Station – Sydney’s major train and bus station – and is in the hub of Sydney’s creative industries precinct.
- Excellent teaching. Our academics are regularly awarded for their achievements. In 2010, six UTS teaching staff received Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning from the Australian Learning and Teaching Council.
- Recognised courses. Many of our courses have accreditation with a wide range of professional associations and governing bodies, giving our students the capacity to work internationally.
- Practice-oriented learning. Many of our courses include major projects, case studies, extensive group work and fieldtrips, which help students place their knowledge in a real-world context.
- Extensive links to industry and the professions. We are continually expanding our industry relationships, work experience and internship programs to give UTS graduates a competitive edge in the workforce.
- World-class facilities. UTS has a wide range of technologically advanced facilities to support your academic, social and sporting life at university. This includes discipline-specific facilities and 24-hour access to computing labs for all UTS students.
- A welcoming study environment. UTS provides comprehensive support for international students, including English language support, a multi-faith prayer room, career counselling, health and housing services, sporting facilities and a peer support network. Clubs and peer programs allow students to meet and interact with others from Australia and around the globe.
Study at one of the most innovative campuses in Australia
UTS is creating a vibrant campus of the future that is delivering an iconic and pedestrian-friendly place to study. The new buildings, renovated facilities and increased public spaces encourage students to collaborate, interact and socialise. The new Engineering and IT Building is home to the most advanced data arena facility in Australia, a disruptive technology lab and software development studio. The new Science and Graduate School of Health Building features the latest advanced laboratories, including a ‘super lab’; one of only two in Australia. The Dr Chau Chak Wing Building, designed by world famous Architect Frank Gehry, is home to the UTS Business School and features innovative teaching and learning spaces.
Why choose UTS?
UTS’s Model of Learning encourages dynamic teaching, integrating theory with practice to deliver a real-world education across many platforms of learning. Many teachers are experts in their professional field, enriching the learning experience with access to the most current industry expertise and networks.
Leading industry professionals regularly help to develop and review UTS courses to provide a balance between theory and contemporary practical application. UTS courses include major projects, real-life case studies, extensive group work and field-trips, which help students place their knowledge in a real-world context. Professional placements and work experience subjects also equip students with valuable practical skills.
UTS maintains strong relationships with local industry and the related professions. More than 150 companies partner with UTS, sharing their resources and providing expertise. UTS’s industry partnerships offer students the opportunity to engage with experts and access cutting-edge facilities on campus. Industry advisory committees also help shape its course content to ensure students are learning current and industry best practice.
UTS has a focus on applied, impact-driven research and finding practical solutions to issues of national and international importance. UTS has established a global reputation for delivering research outcomes in the areas of business, health, sustainability and creative industries.
UTS provides comprehensive support services for students, including academic support, a multi-faith prayer room, counselling, finance, health and housing services.
The UTS Careers Service can help students with their career development through a wide range of services and programs designed to maximise employability.
UTS students are encouraged to join the university’s flagship ‘Beyond UTS international leadership development’ (BUiLD) program, which is free to join and open to all students. BUiLD students have the opportunity to develop their leadership, skills and networks through a variety of action-based initiatives that focus on social outcomes.