This statement is for the information of all students enrolled in study at UTS:INSEARCH.
The Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW) (the PPIP Act) and Australian Privacy Principles regulate the collection, use and disclosure of personal information that INSEARCH holds about you. When you applied to INSEARCH, the application form and terms and conditions included a Privacy Statement containing information about how INSEARCH handles your personal information, including:
- the purposes for which INSEARCH collects your personal information; and
- who INSEARCH may disclose your personal information to.
1.1 Your privacy is important to us. We observe the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) and the NSW Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (the PPIP Act).
1.2 Regardless of when or how the information is collected, your personal information may be shared between, and used by INSEARCH and our controlling entity the University of Technology, Sydney, and contracted service providers for the purpose of assessing your application, establishing and administering your program of study, and for related purposes including:
- verifying your identity;
- consideration of any other application made by you to INSEARCH;
- customer relations including management of our relationship with you and market or customer satisfaction research and development. If you have applied for study with a joint venture partner or other authorised education affiliate, we may also use your information for the purpose of providing benefits to you or to obtain aggregate information for statistical or research purposes;
- compliance with legislative and regulatory requirements, including but not limited to the Department of Immigration and Border Patrol, Department of Education, Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency, Department of Industry, Australian Education International, the Australian Council for Private Education and Training;
- our internal operations including student administration and management, record keeping, risk management, auditing purposes, training, file reviews and portfolio analysis;
- information technology systems development and testing;
- arrangements with authorised service providers in relation to our programs and services (for example, we may arrange for enquiry management providers to undertake follow-up activity with prospective students);
- to investigate, resolve and prevent complaints;
- conducting fraud assessments;
- reporting and data analytics, including for regulatory, management, statistical or research purposes.
1.3 We may also disclose your personal information for those purposes to the following organisations:
- our joint venture partners and education affiliates (for example, a university, or other third party that we have contractual arrangements with), and service providers (for example, student enquiry management, IT service providers);
- contractors and external advisers (for example, lawyers and auditors);
- any person acting on your behalf, including your legal advisers;
- government and other regulatory bodies, law enforcement bodies and courts;
- external dispute resolution bodies (for example, the Overseas Students Ombudsman’s office)
1.4 INSEARCH does not disclose student personal information to Channel Partners and agents following a student’s enrolment in an English course or academic program.
1.5 We may use information we receive from our affiliates, to assist our staff in better identifying the courses and services that may be relevant to you, and for student administrative purposes.
1.6 We may disclose your personal information to our third party service providers for them to help us provide information on study options and related services to you. Our third party service providers may store or access your personal information overseas and are required to treat the information in a manner consistent with the APP’s.
1.7 Where INSEARCH discloses personal information to an overseas entity, reasonable steps will be taken to ensure the entity to which the information is disclosed treats the information in a manner consistent with the APP’s.
1.8 INSEARCH and the University of Technology, Sydney may use your personal information to keep you up to date with other courses and services. If you do not want us to do this, please contact us. You do not need to contact us if you have already informed us that you do not wish to receive information on other courses and services.
- can request us to provide you access to any personal information we hold about you;
- can seek correction of personal information we hold about you;
- may complain about a breach of an Australian Privacy Principle and how we will deal with such a complaint.
1.10 You may request that we provide you with access to your personal information held by us in relation to your program of study by contacting INSEARCH's Privacy Officer by:
- emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- writing to the Privacy Officer, INSEARCH Limited, PO Box K1085, Haymarket NSW 1240;
- telephoning 02 9218 8600 during normal business hours.