English for Academic Research (Academic English Level 6)
This 10 week program is tailored for candidates undertaking a UTS postgraduate research degree, either at PhD or Masters Level, who need to enhance their Academic English skills for research purposes.
To enter this program, candidates will require an overall IELTS score of 6.5 and a 6.5 in writing (or TOEFL/ PTE equivalent).
AE6a Aims and Objectives
AE6b Aims and Objectives
Download application form
AE6 English Scholarship
Students will be provided with the language knowledge and skills to be able to communicate their proposed research as accurately and professionally as possible.
The course is built around the theme of academic research itself. This theme is appropriate for the proficiency level of postgraduate research students and takes into account their expectations of relevance to their study.
Why English for Academic Research?
- 25 years of English teaching experience
- Materials and course books written by UTS:INSEARCH academic staff
- Research focused topics
- Designed for PhD/ Masters students
- Most advanced Academic English curriculum on the market
- 10 week practical program
- Discipline specific related subjects
- Enhanced English language skills for research degree study.
- The successful completion of AE6 is recognised as meeting the UTS English language requirements for admissions to UTS courses requiring an IELTS Academic overall score of 7.
- Vocabulary. Focuses on common core words related to themes such as describing a proposed study, identifying anticipated problems in research and talking about academic progress.
- Features of academic writing/grammar in academic writing. Focuses on common core features of academic writing (e.g. punctuation, referencing conventions and clarity).
- Writing texts or parts of texts. Features the writing skills for producing texts relevant to research candidature.
- Academic reading skills. Draws on a range of written academic text types to practise a range of common core reading skills relevant to the candidate.
- Independent discipline-specific reading. In a weekly two-hour session, students locate and read a text in their specialised field to inform their thinking about their proposed area of study. In class the following day students discuss their reading with other postgraduate students.
- Academic listening skills. Draws on a range of spoken academic text types to practise common core listening skills.
- Interactions. Focuses on spoken interaction with a supervisor and with other postgraduate research students.
Intake for candidates starting at UTS in July 2015:
Intake for candidates starting at UTS in February 2016:
English Entry Requirements
- IELTS: overall minimum IELTS score of 6.5 and 6.5 in writing
- TOEFL: overall minimum TOEFL iBT score of 79-93 and 21 in writing
- PTE: overall minimum PTE score of 58-64
How to apply
Download an international application form here and select AE6. You can also speak to your education agent or call our student centre on +61 2 9218 8666 or email: email@example.com
The AE6 English Scholarship for postgraduate research students is now open.
The AE6 English Scholarship for postgraduate program is tailored for candidates undertaking a UTS postgraduate research degree who need to enhance their Academic English skills for research purposes click here for more details.